BOMANITE GRASSCRETE SYSTEMS
BOMANITE GRASSCRETE GENERAL APPLICATION QUESTIONS:
1) What is Bomanite Grasscrete? Grasscrete is a pervious reinforced concrete
structure for all types of trafficked areas that is either covered with grass, has grass growing in the voids of the structure
or has stone in the voids of the structure.
2) How is Bomanite Grasscrete made? Grasscrete is made by pouring concrete over “Formers”,
a tool or mold that leaves voids in the concrete, that once opened can be filled with a variety of porous materials such as
grass or gravel.
3) What are the Formers made of? Grasscrete Formers come in two types. A re-usable plastic tool that is used only for fully grassed
or concealed installations and the more common single-use Molded Pulp Former used for all Grasscrete types.
4) What is Molded Pulp? The Molded Pulp is made from 100% recycled
paper pulled from both post industrial and post consumer waste streams. It is suspended in a water slurry, vacuum formed to
a mold and then air dried to a solid product. It is based on the same biodegradable material commonly found at landscape supply
stores or nurseries that plant pots are made from.
5) What is the difference between Bomanite Grasscrete Systems and the competitors?
Grasscrete is the
only product on the market that is made from continuously reinforced cast-in-place concrete. It is by far the most robust
pervious grassed structure as it is not made from cheap plastic rings or supplied in segments. It has the load bearing capacity
and durability comparable to concrete freeways or parking lots.
6) What are the products dimensions? The individual Grasscrete Formers are
24” x 48” in outside dimension and are 5 ½” deep. The final installed product size is determined
by the size of the project – every square foot of properly installed Grasscrete is connected with steel reinforcement.
7) What is Bomanite Grasscrete installed
is installed over a sub-base of gravel at a depth determined by the load bearing capacity required for the project. In many
situations the Grasscrete is installed over the native soils saving money on excavation and gravel. In some cases it is installed
over a deep bed of crushed stone or even storm water chambers so as to provide capacity for water which can be highly desired
when controlling storm water runoff.
8) How well does grass grow over Bomanite Grasscrete? Grasscrete has been installed extensively throughout the world in all climate types.
In some environments such as the Pacific Northwest it will grow the same as any lawn requiring no irrigation. In environments
that are dry and hot, it is recommended that the Grasscrete be irrigated much like any other grassed area. Hardy, drought
tolerant grass or groundcover can be selected for applications such as retaining pond bottoms or slope protection.
9) How long do we have to wait before
driving on Bomanite Grasscrete? Unlike other competitive systems that may require the grass to grow prior to use, Grasscrete can be driven on
immediately after the concrete hardens in the extent of an emergency situation. Typically it is recommended that you wait
two to four weeks before you drive on it for best results.
10) What types of grass should I use in the product? Use a species that is both deep rooting
and robust. Generally a Blue/Rye/Fescue mix in northern climates and Zoysia, Fescue, or Bermuda types in southern climates.
11) What material is Bomanite Grasscrete
filled with for grassed installations? Grasscrete functions best in fully concealed installations when a sandy soil is used to fill the voids
and to cover the concrete. This will allow the grass to grow well and will support occasional non-emergency vehicle access.
The same mixture is used for void grassed only installations which will allow for any type of vehicle access as often as required.
12) Can I seed or sod over the product?
Seed or sod can
both be used dependant upon the application.
13) Is soil amending recommended? Yes, a water retaining soil additive such as PAM or equal
is recommended for grassed applications. It will retain moisture between watering or rainfall and will help aerate the root
zone as it expands and contracts.
14) How are parking spaces delineated on a Grasscrete parking lot? The use of traditional line paints is the most effective
way to delineate stalls on a Grasscrete parking lot. Other methods, such as pouring the concrete in multiple pours, leaving
a wider band of concrete between the stalls and planting brushes or shrubs in a predetermined pattern are all ways to distinguish
between stalls and to control traffic patterns.
BOMANITE GRASSCRETE PERFORMANCE QUESTIONS:
1) How heavy of a load can Bomanite Grasscrete support? Grasscrete can be designed and installed to support any vehicle. The standard minimum
installation supports vehicles weighing 75,000 pounds with more customized installations capable of supporting vehicles exceeding
150,000 pounds – including tracked vehicles.
2) How much traffic can the product withstand? Fully grassed installations can handle periodic traffic
such as maintenance access or overflow parking. This is dictated by the robustness of the grass itself. Void grassed only
installations can be driven on continuously with no issues associated with plowing, high speed travel or tires turning at
particular places in the installation.
3) Can Bomanite Grasscrete be used for emergency access such as fire lanes?
Yes, this is one
of the more common uses for Grasscrete. As an example, the City of Los Angeles Fire Department has been using Grasscrete exclusively
4) What is the installed cost for Bomanite Grasscrete vs. Concrete? Grasscrete is generally 30% higher than traditional
concrete pavement. Using Grasscrete can eliminate or minimize the need for storm water collection systems which may be a substantial