GENERAL APPLICATION QUESTIONS:
1) What is
Bomanite Grasscrete? Grasscrete is a pervious reinforced concrete structure for
all types of trafficked areas that is either covered with grass, has grass growing in the voids
of the structure or has stone in the voids of the structure.
2) How is Bomanite Grasscrete made? Grasscrete
is made by pouring concrete over “Formers”, a tool or mold that leaves voids in the concrete, that once opened
can be filled with a variety of porous materials such as grass or gravel.
3) What are the Formers made of? Grasscrete Formers come in two types. A re-usable plastic tool that is used only for fully grassed or concealed
installations and the more common single-use Molded Pulp Former used for all Grasscrete types.
4) What is Molded Pulp? The Molded Pulp is made from 100% recycled paper pulled from both post industrial and post consumer waste
streams. It is suspended in a water slurry, vacuum formed to a mold and then air dried to a solid product. It is based on
the same biodegradable material commonly found at landscape supply stores or nurseries that plant pots are made from.
5) What is the difference between Bomanite Grasscrete Systems
and the competitors? Grasscrete is the only product on the market that is made
from continuously reinforced cast-in-place concrete. It is by far the most robust pervious grassed structure as it is not
made from cheap plastic rings or supplied in segments. It has the load bearing capacity and durability comparable to concrete
freeways or parking lots.
6) What are
the products dimensions? The individual Grasscrete Formers are 24”
x 48” in outside dimension and are 5 ½” deep. The final installed product size is determined by the size
of the project – every square foot of properly installed Grasscrete is connected with steel reinforcement.
7) What is Bomanite Grasscrete installed over? Grasscrete is installed over a sub-base of gravel at a depth determined by the load bearing capacity required
for the project. In many situations the Grasscrete is installed over the native soils saving money on excavation and gravel.
In some cases it is installed over a deep bed of crushed stone or even storm water chambers so as to provide capacity for
water which can be highly desired when controlling storm water runoff.
8) How well does grass grow over Bomanite Grasscrete? Grasscrete
has been installed extensively throughout the world in all climate types. In some environments such as the Pacific Northwest
it will grow the same as any lawn requiring no irrigation. In environments that are dry and hot, it is recommended that the
Grasscrete be irrigated much like any other grassed area. Hardy, drought tolerant grass or groundcover can be selected for
applications such as retaining pond bottoms or slope protection.
9) How long do we have to wait before driving on Bomanite Grasscrete? Unlike
other competitive systems that may require the grass to grow prior to use, Grasscrete can be driven on immediately after the
concrete hardens in the extent of an emergency situation. Typically it is recommended that you wait two to four weeks before
you drive on it for best results.
types of grass should I use in the product? Use
a species that is both deep rooting and robust. Generally a Blue/Rye/Fescue mix in northern climates and Zoysia, Fescue, or
Bermuda types in southern climates.
material is Bomanite Grasscrete filled with for grassed installations? Grasscrete
functions best in fully concealed installations when a sandy soil is used to fill the voids and to cover the concrete. This
will allow the grass to grow well and will support occasional non-emergency vehicle access. The
same mixture is used for void grassed only installations which will allow for any type of vehicle access as often as required.
12) Can I seed or sod over the product? Seed or sod can both be used dependant upon the application.
13) Is soil amending recommended? Yes,
a water retaining soil additive such as PAM or equal is recommended for grassed applications. It will retain moisture between
watering or rainfall and will help aerate the root zone as it expands and contracts.
14) How are parking spaces delineated on a Grasscrete parking lot? The use of traditional line paints is the most effective way to delineate stalls on a Grasscrete parking lot.
Other methods, such as pouring the concrete in multiple pours, leaving a wider band of concrete between the stalls and planting
brushes or shrubs in a predetermined pattern are all ways to distinguish between stalls and to control traffic patterns.
BOMANITE GRASSCRETE PERFORMANCE QUESTIONS:
1) How heavy of a load can Bomanite Grasscrete support? Grasscrete can be designed and installed to support any vehicle. The standard minimum installation supports
vehicles weighing 75,000 pounds with more customized installations capable of supporting vehicles exceeding 150,000 pounds
– including tracked vehicles.
How much traffic can the product withstand? Fully grassed installations can handle
periodic traffic such as maintenance access or overflow parking. This is dictated by the robustness of the grass itself. Void
grassed only installations can be driven on continuously with no issues associated with plowing, high speed travel or tires
turning at particular places in the installation.
3) Can Bomanite Grasscrete be used for emergency access such as fire lanes? Yes, this is one of the more common uses for Grasscrete. As an example, the City of Los Angeles Fire Department
has been using Grasscrete exclusively since 1982.
4) What is the installed cost for Bomanite Grasscrete vs. Concrete? Grasscrete
is generally 30% higher than traditional concrete pavement. Using Grasscrete can eliminate or minimize the need for storm
water collection systems which may be a substantial savings.